Re: Europa-List: Door Fitting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Door Fitting
From: Fred Fillinger <n3eu@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:25:42

> ...suffered some heat damage to its carbon composite wing...
> can still recall watching an egg fry on the apron in Arizona.
> My aircraft is white and it is staying that way but hey,
> -- if that is what you want go for it.
>
> regards,
> MP

I agree with white too, Mike, but context reminder to others, we were
talking black tinted (or even dark green au naturel) Redux bonding the
windows, and exposed to the sun.

A digital infrared temp measuring device is a neat tool, and using it
on a car shows how a chart of temp vs. color may not predict actual
temp, only approx. variance between colors.  It has to do with a bunch
of stuff, especially amount of organic compounds in the paint or the
material, such as carbon fiber and asphalt you cited.  A tire will
likely be much hotter than the black, plastic fender flare above it.

The tool would be useful to a builder desiring some color, by
comparing pieces of fiberglass coated with white vs. whatever color,
metallic or not, etc.  Or a darker color judged tolerable on wingtips
of least structural concern.  Plus other diagnostic and even household
uses....

Reg,
Fred F.