Re: Europa-List: Fitting Doors

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Fitting Doors
From: James H Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 16:34:34

Hi Al,
        You did not say if you have the rubber gasket in place.  My doors
were very good in position until I put the rubber gasket in place.  Then
the center of the door "bowed" a bit.  You can only get this to stop by
making the door very rigid or installing a third locking point on the
door.  This "bow" will be the exit for air in the cockpit sucking your
shirt sleeve outside.  There are several ways to hold the door in place
(in the center).  Some complicated others simple.  The factory just
reduxed a short pin in the door and put a small plate with a hole on the
door sill.  Put a bevel toward the inside of the pin and worked very
good.  Also cheep!  BTW, the male pin should be made very rigid so it
doesn't bend or shake loose. Maybe 1/8" dia or so.  I think I would weld
a pin through a small thin plate and have the weld positioned on the
inside of the bracket.  That way you could only see a neat pin through a
small steel plate.  (with several holes for the redux to hole on to).

Jim Nelson
N15JN