Europa-List: Life goes on with good advice taken heed.....

Subject: Europa-List: Life goes on with good advice taken heed.....
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 12:52:38

Hi! All
Whilst surrounded by doom and gloom ......and in the spirit of Europa group
preservation
!
Water drain mod. main and reserve tank connectors
IMHO anyone not constrained by the UK authoritative UK anti deviation
modification
system should seriously consider these few words of advice.
As for the PFA I have written to them with some of my observations anyway.

Firstly I am well aware that there shouldn't be any lint fibres or DOG HAIRS in
your tanks but if there should happen to be only a minimal amount.........!

I need to advise you all to closely examine the actual connectors, preferably
prior
to fittment of the finger strainer gauze. Take a look down the inside diameter
where the gauze is to be reduxed in place and observe the diameter restriction
of the main exit hole by about 50% of its cross sectional area then imagine
what's left when you slide the gauze back in and redux it into place!
All this is easy to do prior to assembly and before insertion into the tank
outlets
with the tank installed. However when installed try getting the connector
assembly out without damaging it !
My experience has been that the gauze, whilst only being about 2mm gauge, it
still
restrains the tiny fibres and in my case dog hairs and dangles them in a small
ball close to the actual exit so that they in turn start filtering out any
small particles until the ball slams into the exit hole and bingo the "donkey"
stops.
Then when you switch to reserve (which I predicted some time ago) since the
reserve
side is on the filler side and if you have run with the reserve switched
for any period , as is required in the annual test, you stand a good chance it
is in the same condition ......as it was in my case .....ie:-  "the donkey"
won't
restart except in a spluttering manner !
If you have this experience then plan for it to be at not less than 2,000ft with
two airfields like RAF Alconbury on one side and RAF Wyton on the other less
than 5 miles apart!
As well as an annual removal of the finger strainers and a tank flush out I
recommend
two things :-
a) A serious questioning of the necessity of the gauze at all? If you can be
sure
there will never be any flakes of paint or LEAVES present as if you have a
permant filler gauze like on most tractors !
b) Dismantle the gauze from the connectors and with a small "burr" tool cut some
of the restricting metal away to provide an unrestricted exit to the main fuel
flow pipe.Then consider item a) above before replacing the gauze.
c) Consider the now required new length and direction of the water pick up pipe
if your aircraft is a trike since any water will now collect to the front corner
of the tank when the a/c is parked tail up.
d) Seriously consider the embodyment of an inspection and access hole to the
tank
between the headrest areas as in the fitment of an Avalec stick type fuel depth
gauge. This cover is large enough to get your hand through to mop out the
tank bottom on either side of the saddle.
Anyone with queries don't hesitate to discuss with me further and obtain
authorisation
---From your controlling authority prior to effecting the changes.

Don't commit to flying a World War II Veteran Spitfire Pilot who survived the
Battle
of Britain and 3 or 4 heart attacks to a celebration event when this is
likely to happen if you want him to survive further !
Embarrassed or what !
regards
Bob Harrison. G-PTAG