RE: Europa-List: Stab travel range

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Stab travel range
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:56:44

Dan Bish wrote:
> I get 9.6 deg trailing edge up and 6.5 deg trailing edge down. These
measurements are when using the incidence setting block. Should I use
something else? I must be doing something wrong in my measurements.
Anyone who wants to throw in on this is welcome.

Dan,

I would suggest you not worry at first about UP and DOWN deflections.
The important thing is to first obtain the correct total movement of the
tailplane which is 18 degrees. (13 Up and 5 down eventually)

Assuming no "T" bar is yet installed for the trim (remove it if it is),
if you cannot obtain the total 18 degrees of movement, the most likely
reason should be that the distance between your Up and Down Stops for
the mass balance weight is insufficient.  After you have
adjusted/altered  the stops to obtain the total deflection of 18
degrees, you can then screw the adjuster on the end of the lower support
tube for the mass balance weight in or out to obtain the correct
apportionment Up and Down.  This adjuster only alters the position of
the tailplane relative to the mass balance weight and in so doing,
alters both deflections.  Whatever it adds to one, it subtracts from the
other.  The sum of the two deflections should always remain 18 degrees.

When you measure the individual deflections, first establish the level
position by accurately aligning the tailplane with the fuselage fairing.
Up and Down measurements are then relative to this level position.  Your
incidence block on the tailplane will be fine.  If you have a digital
level or protractor (I used my Warp Drive Propeller protractor), when
you are holding the tailplane aligned with the fairing, place your level
on the board and note the reading.  (lets say it is X degrees).  Now
your Up reading should be X+13 and Down X-5

Hope this helps.

Regards
Kingsley Hurst
Mono Classic 281 in Oz.
Extended baggage bay, fuel lines, engine, electrics and F,S and P still
to go.