RE: Europa-List: Aerobatics

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Aerobatics
From: David Legge dlegge <dlegge@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 23:03:47

This brings to mind a question I have had. I understand the rules in the US
to be as Terry says. You can only perform activities during post test phase
flights that were expressly performed during the test phase. If you don't
simulate a passenger, you can not have one on board as an example.

But, my question is, while I know the Europa can perform mild aerobatic
maneuvers, I would like to have some feeling for the criteria the aircraft
was engineered for. In other words, what level of aerobatics was engineered
into the design.

So far in the build process the engineering has always become clear as I
went along. But, when I look at the internal Rib and the bonding to the
torque tube bushing, I am not sure it was designed for the kind of loads
that a spin might impart on the tailplane.  Perhaps it's just my ignorance
at work.

Is there anybody out there who regularly performs aerobatics in their
Europa? If so, what is the maximum weight and airspeeds do you regularly
perform your maneuvers under? When I reach the flight test phase I would
like to incorporate some maneuvers into the plan but I would rather avoid
determining the structural maximum of the aircraft while in flight.

Thanks

David Legge