Re: Europa-List: Alternative Trigear Bungee Fitment

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Alternative Trigear Bungee Fitment
From: Mark Burton <markb@ordern.com>
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 23:07:32

Hi Jerry,

> Can someone steer me towards the details of the single loops of Bungee to
> replace the continuous Bungee system for Europa Nose Gear.
>
> My Nose gear is yet again gone 'soft' and would like to try this new
> approach.

The following probably only makes sense for converted monos that still
have a hole in the bottom!

I have used single loops of bungee that stretch around the T-bar to
the centre tube (as G-NEAT is a converted mono, this is where the
over-centre supports pivoted from).

The bungee is threaded over the centre tube and the ends clamped
together with little clamps (kindly supplied to me by Kevin
Pilcher). The loop of bungee can then be stretched down and over the
end of the T-bar. If the tension isn't quite right you can move the
clamp and try again. The stripes on the bungee should be something
like 1" apart at the right tension. Keep adding loops of bungee until
you have enough and the result is "hard".

The great advantage of this method is that you can re-tension
individual loops without doing yourself an injury and even take more
than half off without the thing collapsing.

Kevin uses a variation of this method where he makes up larger loops
that stretch from the T-bar, over the centre tube and back down to the
T-bar. I tried that, but being weak, I found I just wasn't capable of
pulling the bungee down to the T-bar. However, single loops between
the centre tube and the T-bar are not too difficult to tension
adequately. The disadvantages of my method (compared to Kevin's) are
that you need twice as many clamps and the bungee has to be formed
into a loop in place over the centre tube (actually, no big deal).

The end result is "well hard" and much easier to maintain than the
factory method.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Regards,

mark