Re: Europa-List: HVLP Turbine Sprayer

Subject: Re: Europa-List: HVLP Turbine Sprayer
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:25:08

Dave Anderson wrote:
> Every painter and paint rep has said the same thing - I should just
> use a regular HVLP gun running off an air compressor.

Having used several of them HVLP conversion guns -- and it's not contrary
to any mfr claims, there's nothing in HVLP technology that gives you a
better finish, beyond less mist to settle on surfaces no longer wet enough
to deal with it.  They're great for body shops for profit and environmental
reasons, and any poorer atomization makes little difference where they cut and
buff it out anyway.  Also, with HVLP, one has to invest extra $$ in cfm
capacity of the compressor, overkill for otherwise topping off one's tires!

I've found a "pressure pot" an excellent investment for shooting airplanes and
safe to buy from Harbor Fright(!) Tools.  Much better control over atomization
-- set and forget -- and preferable for big things like planes, due to much
less weight in the gun and 80% of the surface shot at less than ideal angles
and/or body positioning.

Also, of the dozen+ guns I have, old reliable still turns out to be a
inexpensive one from Sears about 25 years ago.  Only reason I can think of is
maybe back then Sears sold house-branded stuff made by serious, domestic
mfrs.  Through google or eBay you can find good prices on Binks or DeVilbiss.
Just watch our for correct needle diameter for the stuff being shot.

Good luck!

Regards,
Fred F.