Re: Europa-List: Gear retraction test

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Gear retraction test
From: Tim Ward <ward.t@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 17:03:07

Paul,
I have just done the undercarriage test for our authorities (NZCAA) and I
did it the way the company suggested. I put a sawhorse, limited to750kg
weight, under each spar orientated along the  spar with cushions to protect
the wing. Make sure you tie the tailwheel down because as you jack the
aircraft up from under the U/C arm the tailwheel lifted as well. ( I my
case.)
I also did it by suspending the aircraft from a beam and with a block and
tackle connected to the engine/U/C frame before the engine was mounted.
Finally, I did do it the way you suggest, without the weight of the engine,
with sawhorses on each side of the engine frame and using blue foam carved
to fit nicely against the curvature.
If  you have a company trailer, then that I have found ideal to work on
aircraft (with the wings off the trailer) and putting added supports between
the wing support uprights and the aircraft to help hold it in place.(foam
rubber)
Cheers,
Tim
Tim Ward