Europa-List: Dot 5.1 Retraction

Subject: Europa-List: Dot 5.1 Retraction
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:35:15

Gidday,
If you are interested in brake fluids, before you spot my deliberate
mistake, I should retract my comment about 5.1 being non aggresive to
paint. These bloody numbers are confusing. Dot 5 is the synthetic, silicone
based variety that doesn't rot paint. Dot 5.1 is the petroleum variety, and
since the others rot paint I can only presume this one does too. I do know
it is expensive, and hard to get, but if it leaks out when you are away
---From home, well you can top it up with the other Dot varieties, and I think
even Automatic Transmission Fluid without it rotting your seals, and then
you can flush it all out and replace the fluid, without having to replace
the seals. So, I now think the rotting variety, albeit the best one being
Dot 5.1 is the way to go, just don't let it get out !
Hope this helps somebody. It is helping me to get it out there anyway.
Reg
Tony Renshaw
Sydney Australia