Re: Europa-List: ventilation

Subject: Re: Europa-List: ventilation
From: RoddyEuropa@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 05:03:06

Mine broke as well. Terrible design. Here is a simple repair method which works
well.

You need to attach a large washer about 25mm in diameter to a 5 mm machine screw
about, 25 mm long. I used the large washers supplied with the kit for spreading
the load when bolting to glassfibre. I used a countersunk machine screw, drilled
a countersunk hole in the washer, then welded across the screw head and
ground it flat.

Then remove the remains of the feeble plastic screw from the vent, and sand the
vent flat.

Run a 5mm tap through the plastic knob that you turn to operate the vent. I
suspect
that you don't even need to do this if you haven't got a tap to match your
screw - the machine screw will probably cut its own thread.

Stick a double sided adhesive pad on the washer. The ones sold by automotives
parts
stores to attache mirrors to windscreens are ideal, or double sided foam
tape.

Screw the machine screw into the plastic, slide the vent cover in, and turn the
knob to push the screw against the cover.

Voila! About 30 minutes work and performs perfectly.  Hope this makes sense - it
is easier to do than describe!

Roddy Kesterton #220