Europa-List: 914 Starting tips

Subject: Europa-List: 914 Starting tips
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:14:45

>All,
>
>I misspoke on my last posting.  I meant to say I had used avgas (100 LL)
>fuel since the beginning.....and had 300 hours on the engine when the crud
>in the carburetors began.  I've since switched to mogas.  I don't know
>whether one type of fuel or the other contributes more or less to crudding.
>The factory authorized Rotax repair shop here in Florida told me that carb
>crud is a fairly common problem

It's probably caused by either a yeast or a bacteria, if the engine has
stood for a long time, or indeed the fuel in the bowser has become
infected, the organism forms a sludge. 2 strokes get it in UK apparently.
So do fishing boats, they call it a virus but I think it's more likely a yeast.
RAF jet bombers used to get it in the tropics, first noticed on Canberras
in Malaysia I remember.
Graham