Re: Europa-List: Ventilation of shop area

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Ventilation of shop area
From: Fergus Kyle <VE3LVO@rac.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:27:50

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Simenauer" <dsimenauer@cox.net>
Subject: Europa-List: Ventilation of shop area

| I am about to purchase a started project and become  a new Europa builder.
I am planning to do most of the project in my basement.  My concern is
ventilating the work area and protecting the rest of the house.  Is anyone
building in their house and if so has ventilation been an issue while
working with the epxoy? If so, how have you dealt with it?

David,
        Yes, and yes. My project is in a spare bedroom. I began by building
tail feathers and wings (2 yrs) in the foam persuasion which is much slower
than you will encounter. I split the room lengthwise with 1x2 lumber,
covered both sides with 6mil polythene (with primitive door) for the wings
etc. This allowed me to heat and humidity control in my half - as the house
is gas-fired forced-air fed so I isolated my half from it. Indoor and
outdoor temps plus humidity gauge ensured proper conditions for the epoxy
curing. I worried badly about hardener fumes, but over the years discovered
no effects from Aeropoxy materials [of course I don't drink it, and keep
fumes well clear of nostrils etc - but to each his own sensitivities, no
small matter]. I seldom use the mask now except on large jobs.
        This room is 23x23 and accomodates the assembled Europa Classic with
4 inches to spare either wingtip, so planning is called for. The first
(stbd) wing goes out the double patio doors to disassemble, and at minus
15-20deg C temp, you want to choose the season for many tasks. However it
looks like it can be done ('cept for engine runs) and having the work steps
---From breakfast can be a warm and pleasant though, so good luck!
Ferg
A064