Europa-List: Odyssey PC545 battery

Subject: Europa-List: Odyssey PC545 battery
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 16:40:38

From: europa@pstewart.f2s.com Subject: Europa-List: Battery
What's the consensus on battery capacity - 914/airmaster but UK based so VFR
only.
I've heard anything from 17 to 30 AH but there's quite a weight difference
there.
Regards Paul  Stewart G-GIDY >>>>

Hi Paul,

Am not sure if these batteries can be purchased in the UK, so this may be of
more
interest for US & Canadian builders. Anyway, I am using an Odyssey PC545 battery
mounted on the firewall shelf. Weight is 12 lbs and it is rated at 13AH
(10 hour rate). I bought this battery quite early in my build process in Sept
1999 and did not start running the engine until October 2001; the battery
recommendation
came from Bob Berube. I have been flying for more than 3 years now
and it has never hesitated to crank my 912S; the engine usually starts within
2-3 blades. (I believe the 912S may be more difficult to crank since it has a
higher compression ratio than the 912 and the 914.)

The Odyssey is totally sealed and is advertised as a 'drycell', 'absorbed
electrolyte
glass mat'(AGM) battery. I recently made a check of capacity and it ran
a 50 watt bulb for 2 hours from max capacity (12.85 volts) to 11.0 volts.
Regrettably,
I did not do the same performance check when new but it is still close
to the manufacturer's numbers.

See http://www.odysseybatteries.com/ and
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/specs.htm for details. These batteries are
popular over here for motorcycles, particularly Harley Davidsons. Typical price
on the internet is US$85.95.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S
Mooresville, North Carolina