Re: Europa-List: Outriggers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Outriggers
From: nigel charles <nigelcharles@tiscali.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:33:40

>I fitted my out riggers today and I found that the wheels are 30mm off the
ground.  I suspect that I could sneak a bit on both ends, but not a lot.
I'd be interested in knowing what are the typical distances that people are
using.<

This is basically a compromise. If the outrigger legs are too long they
create drag, wear and stress when operating off grass. Too short and the
aircraft will rock from side to side on tarmac reducing directional
stability. I would suggest a length where there is minimal rock when loaded
on level tarmac. Certainly control during take-offs and landings on tarmac
below aileron authority speed (about 35kts) with short legs is more
demanding.

If most of your flying is from tarmac longer legs are more suitable. If you
make them shorter for grass operation just be very careful when on tarmac.

Nigel Charles