RE: Europa-List: Fuel system info please

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Fuel system info please
From: Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 20:44:59

Ron:

A bunch of questions indeed.  I haven't done any flying with the setup yet
but have filled the system to the brim and run the pumps for an extended
length of time.

I used the replaceable element filters under the seats with an isolation
valve just upstream of each to catch any gross debris.  I installed the
Andair filter/water separator downstream of the pumps where the lines come
together. The Andairs are kind of expensive to be using two of them. There
is a bottom access panel here and the 2 sump drains are also located here.
I have seen this done on others web pages.

I put 2 vents down low on the fuselage. Using the same configuration as
noted for the top. They come out under the right rear wing root
approximately under the rear drag socket a little shy of 2" from the
fuselage surface.  Assuming the area under the wing is a high pressure area
when not flying upside down.

I plumbed the hoses into the very top of the fuel manifold using brass NPT
fittings. Drilled a very tight clearance hole, put a 90 degree elbow on the
outside and screwed the NPT nipple through from the inside making a
generous Redux fillet on each side. A  T is then attached with one side
going to the tank and one going down to the vent.  The second vent is going
to be T'ed in after  I get the  extended range tank plumbed in. It will be
used for that in addition to acting as a backup for the primary one.

Steve Hagar
A143 Mesa, AZ
hagargs@earthlink.net

<rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>

> Getting close to bonding in Cockpit Module, figure should sort out the
game plan for
> fuel system.
>
> Have a few questions. Will be using 914 on XS Monowheel.
>
> 1) Instead of using the supplied filters, has anyone used 2 Andair
Gasculator/Filters,