Re: Europa-List: Rear access panels

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rear access panels
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:38:58

Alan,
        Do what ever you need to get an access port in the rear that
allows you to do maint. on the tail wheel operating system.  I put in a
6" O.D. , ( 5" opening) in my port side to do that.  I also put one the
same size forward of the bulkhead.  This allows me to "see" and work on
anything in this area.  I also put in a 4" ( 3" opening) up on the port
side near the front of the rudder. This port was placed with the position
that I would need to replace the trim motor sometime in the future.  So
place it with that in mind. With these openings I can remove anything or
fix anything necessary in this area.  I put on my top and forgot to put
on locking nuts that hold the trim motor in place.  By removing the top
opening and putting my arm into the lower port I could use my ratchet to
loosen the nuts and replace them with the correct nuts.   Boy am I glad I
had the openings.  Put them on the same side so you can see and work
through them.  I'm in the USA but maintenance on the rear requires
access.  So if you don't have any one who has done this, go through the
governmental pain in rear to get it done.  Having been through my first
yearly inspection, I was VERY glad the ports were there.  Remember, out
of sight / out of mind.  Not a good thing in aviation.

Jim Nelson
N15JN

<alan.twigg@ntlworld.com> writes:
> <alan.twigg@ntlworld.com>
>
> I have fitted Graham Singleton's Rudder / Tailwheel mod, I have
> fitted cable adjusters that terminate at the rudder yolk on the
> tailplane bulkhead.
> I would like to put an access panel on the port side in front of the
> tailplane bulkhead, instead of the further forward one on the
> Fuselage top.
> Has anyone already done the work for this, PFA wise, thus saving me
> some hassle.
>
> Cheers Alan Twigg
> Motorglider G-GIWT, just about to put the top on.

=

=

=