RE: Europa-List: Engine options

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Engine options
From: Peter Zutrauen <peterz@zutrasoft.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:05:29

Hi Ken,

The Mazda at 300lbs installed weight for a 2 rotor, it's just too heavy.
I'm keeping my eye on a single rotor variant with custom aluminum side
plates.... @ less than 200lbs - but it's still in the very early
development stages and as such is still unproven. Richard Sohn is the
fellow doing the work unicorn@gdsys.net. I have some pics I could email
you.

The Midwest Norton rotary was tried in the Europa early on by the
factory (as per the old newsletters), but they apparently had cooling
issues - there may be one or two flying in the UK. The Norton design has
now been purchased by Diamond Aircraft, and marketed out of Italy.
http://aeroshop.it/engines/
Likely very expensive, and one would still likely have the cooling and
consumption issues. Nice and light though (105Hp @ 155lbs wet with a
second alternator).

Cheers,
Pete