Re: Europa-List: gel coat

Subject: Re: Europa-List: gel coat
From: TELEDYNMCS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 21:04:23

In a message dated 1/25/2004 7:04:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
garrys@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> How come my boat isn't cracking, crazing and yellowing?

Simple. Because you boats skin is very thick compared to the skin of an
airplane and doesn't flex near as much. The hull is facing down, not up, so the
UV
exposure is minimal. Go to any gliderport and look at any 10 year old or older

gel coat finished airplane, particuarly around the tail wheel, corners of the
canopy and edges of the gear doors and you will see what I'm talking about. I
have yet to see one that doesn't have cracks and I see lots of gliders being
that we run a gliderport here in Tennessee. You won't notice the yellowing
unless you put it beside a new airplane, but when you do it's obvious.

And, you're right. Gel coat is 30+ year old technology. 30+ year old
technology that has been surpassed by a better product.

Regards,

John Lawton
Dunlap, TN
A-245