RE: Europa-List: Bing 64 Carb and Altitude Compensation

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Bing 64 Carb and Altitude Compensation
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:55:43

Ira Rampil wrote:

> Can someone explain the theory, oft stated by salespeople, that
Rotax engines with Bing carbs compensate for the lack of a mixture
control.

Ira,

Well I certainly can't but I'm glad you asked the question because it is
something that has puzzled me also for a long time.

A few years ago in a Europa Newsletter, Ivan Shaw categorically stated
that the Bing Carburettors were NOT altitude compensating and since then
I have always scratched my head wondering how the hell a Europa with a
912 could possibly reach 14,000ft (ref Kim Prout's and Ivan Shaw's trip
to Oshkosh).  I have therefore come to the conclusion that while they
may not be actually compensating, they must be more tolerant to ambient
pressure changes than other carbs.

Somewhere in my Rotax literature, I read once that Rotax do supply an
Altitude Compensating Carburettor but I have never heard of anyone
having one.

Like you, I now await further replies in the hope that at least you and
I will learn something.

Cheers

Kingsley Hurst
Europa Mono Classic 281
in Oz

Still a fair way to go but at least I can now sit in a fully enclosed
cockpit.