Europa-List: Firewall heat shield.

Subject: Europa-List: Firewall heat shield.
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:02:47

>Tony S. Krzyzewski wrote:
>
> >Several builders have already discovered that this is a great way of
> >ensuring a short life for your exhaust pipes. I think there's a note in
> >the Europa technical bulletins somewhere advising against wrapping the
> >exhaust pipes.
>Thanks for that one Tony!
>
>Do you know why, is it about corrosion or what?
>
>Alex

Unknown to the company at the time, suppliers stopped using stainless for
the runners and switched to mild steel. The very hot gases Rotax exhaust
just burnt through the pipes. I know of no problems with the earlier
stainless runners. There was an issue related to vibration causing cracking
but that was easily avoided by proper support of the weight of the silencer
and balancing the prop. Warps are not well balanced and the old Classic
spinners were very poor in this respect. (suppliers again ? or emptor lack
of caveat?)
The current silencer seems very good.
Ceramic coating is believed to keep a lot of the heat in the gases but I
have no experience with it.
Graham

---