RE: Europa-List: Composites and "finality" of closings

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Composites and "finality" of closings
From: Kingsley Hurst <hurstkr@growzone.com.au>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 16:58:54

Guil Barros wrote:-
> how "final" is the closing of wings et al with composites? will it be
impossible
to open them back up later to fix things or install ocmponents?

Guil,

In the absence of any other replies to your question, I would suggest
that in respect of maintenance procedures, once the wing is closed, it
is closed.  Having said that however, when it comes to having to open up
a structure for whatever reason eg accidental damage, worn out parts
etc, I think you will find fibreglass lends itself to this sort of
operation much better than any other material.

I remember years ago many people in the gliding fraternity being amazed
how at World Championship gliding competitions, if a competitor had a
prang on out landing damaging the aircraft, crews would work all night
and have the aircraft in the air again the next day.  If I remember
correctly, broken fuselages have even been repaired overnight.  I have
never heard of similar repairs being carried out on any other sort of
aircraft over such a short time span.  Admittedly, gliders repaired in
this manner would very likely not be in showroom condition as far as
aesthetics is concerned, but they were structurally sound.

In a nutshell, I don't think you have anything to worry about, if you
ever have to open it up, you will be able to provided you follow proper
repair procedures.

Regards
Kingsley Hurst
Europa Mono Classic 281