Re: Europa-List: Europa Club Website & Mozilla

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Europa Club Website & Mozilla
From: Rowland Carson <rowil@clara.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:36:22

>the EuropaClub website doesnt work in non-IE browsers

>its VERY bad form to have a community site that doesnt follow
>established standards

Guil - thanks for your heads-up. I'm replying publicly as I think
it's important people know what Europa Club policy is on this matter.
Webmaster Jeremy may have comments to offer also!

First, several features of the website are broken at present because
Aviators Network have failed offer us a reliable service. Normally,
the extra choices are also visible along the top of the current
frame, so you can get at them from there instead of using the
plus-symbol pop-ups. The "no-frames" option relies upon the choices
along the top of the page for all navigation.

Second, the Europa Club Committee gave our VOLUNTEER webmaster
guidelines to make the site as universally accessible as possible,
before he started designing the site. Within the limitations of the
Microsoft tools he is limited to, he has tried to observe those
guidelines, while minimising his own workload and making the pages as
attractive and modern-looking as possible. He has responded to the
whinings of mac users like myself in the past when we complained that
standards-compliant browsers such as iCab and Safari can't use the
site.

No doubt when (soon) we are established on a new host, things will
look much better.

If anyone wishes to know about this aspect of Club policy in more
detail, I can supply a copy of the above-mentioned website guidelines
document as approved by the Europa Club Committee - please contact me
off-list at <europa-club@rowil.clara.net> if you want to see it.

regards

Rowland