Europa-List: Lightning Strikes to Composite Aircraft

Subject: Europa-List: Lightning Strikes to Composite Aircraft
From: n3eu@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 05:57:16

This subject has been periodically of interest, and while web browsing other EAA
chapter sites for ideas to envigorate our EAA Chapter, I came upon an
interesting
item.

Go to http://eaa127.tripod.com.  Click Newsletters and select June, 2002.
There you will see results of a strike to a parked Glasair. Lightning normally
pierces fiberglass without much ado, but if arcing occurs between conductive
members inside to complete the path from/to earth, you have potential for a big
bomb.  Else this was a Al Qae'da terrorist aircraft smuggling explosive
plastique in the tailcone.

If you can't browse a color PDF document, I can email any requester a 19kb
picture
of same.

Regards,
Fred F.