Re: Europa-List: filler

Subject: Re: Europa-List: filler
From: Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 20:02:58

---- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Davey" <jeremycrdavey@btinternet.com>

> Has anyone who's used Expancel correctly done any experiments to work out
> the ideal ratio of filler to resin by weight?

Depends how much of a struggle you want to accept in putting on a
lightweight filler, or struggle in sanding-off a heavy weight filler.

The other problem with lightweight filler (ie the stuff made with Expancel)
is that it marks very easily (and permanently)  in service. I wouldn't do
mine so light again.

A tip for mixing hte lightweight option is to pound it vigorously for
several minutes. There comes a point when the mix goes from appearing too
dry to a plastic putty-like consistency, which is much easier to spread. The
addition of fume silica helps this greatly. Let me know if you're interested
in the ratios I used (which might answer your original question!).

Duncan McF.