Europa-List: Sternpost Attach Temporarily?

Subject: Europa-List: Sternpost Attach Temporarily?
From: Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:28:23

Gidday,
In the manual regarding the sternpost and rudder, Chapter 32 for some, it
mentions that the sternpost has been temporarily attached previously. Can
someone who is more familiar with the sternpost setup advise me as to when
in the earlier part of the build it was temporarily attached?
The rationale is to temporarily attach it, irrespective of the 76 mm
dimension given in the manual, as to become the controlling rear datum
width for the width of the rear section. My friend tells me that he, and I
recall many others have talked about the unusual amount of force required
to distort the rear fuse to minimise gaps around the rudder. This has been
offered up as a solution, or at least an aid, plus it will also allow me to
set the rear section plumb, so that when I retemplate up my rear bulkhead
ahead of the torque tube, I can do so such that it holds any small amount
of twist required to keep the sternpost vertical and plumb, as the rest of
my fuse is level. So, is this a good idea or not???

Reg
Tony Renshaw