RE: Europa-List: DOOR/GAS STRUT DAMAGE

Subject: RE: Europa-List: DOOR/GAS STRUT DAMAGE
From: Peter Davis <peterdavis@ntlworld.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 08:13:07

Hi Bob,

I had to rebuild the door lug when mine broke. When removing the remains of
the old one I realised that the metal insert forming the lug was too small
for the job and, in fact, the hole for the gas strut ball joint had missed
it - most of the lug being made up with fibre and filler and apparently only
stuck onto the surface of the door inner moulding.

I made another lug in steel that is bonded through the inner door moulding
and meets the outer moulding as well. Makes a good strong point. Repair is
quite easy but infuriating as you will be thinking "If only it was made
properly in the first place .............." Definitely no point in replacing
the door. It might just happen again.

I must now get on with the other door lug which has gone the same way. A
good method of starting the demolition job is taxiing with the door slightly
open but not being held tight enough :-(

Regards,

Peter

mailto:peterdavis@ntlworld.com

This message has been scanned by Norton Internet Security for all known
viruses.