RE: Europa-List: Resin on skin

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Resin on skin
From: Rob Housman <RobH@hyperionef.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:59:47

Vinegar seems to react with the hardener to make it less of a skin irritant,
but it does tend to sting a bit when the skin is already damaged.  I can
confirm from first hand experience that it works.  The epoxy components are
not water soluble so it is not likely that vinegar can facilitate getting
epoxy below the skin's surface.

Here's what the manufacturer of Aeropoxy says:

SAFETY and HANDLING

PTM&W products are designed to offer the user high performance products with
minimum hazard potential w/hen properly used. Generally, PTM&W resins and
hardeners win present no handling problems if users exercise care to protect
the skin and eyes, and, if good ventilation is provided to the work areas.
However, all epoxy resins and hardeners can be irritating to the skin, and
prolonged contact may result in sensitization; and breathing of mist or
vapors may cause allergenic respiratory reaction, especially in highly
sensitive individuals. As such, avoid contact with eyes and skin, and avoid
breathing vapors.

Wear protective rubber apron, clothing, gloves, face shield or other items
as required to prevent contact with the skin. In case of skin contact,
immediately wash with soap and water, followed by a rinse of the area with
vinegar, and then a further wash with soap and water. The vinegar will
neutralize the hardener and lessen the chances of long term effects. Use
goggles, a face shield, safety glasses or other items as required to prevent
contact with the eyes. If material gets into the eyes, immediately flush
with water for at least 15 minutes and call a physician,

For additional details go to
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/ccanedy/aeropoxy_main.html

Best regards,

Rob Housman