Re: Re: Europa-List: Europa XS 'conventional' landing gear

Subject: Re: Re: Europa-List: Europa XS 'conventional' landing gear
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 18:56:42

Tony,
        The weight issue is not unexpected.  The conversion to
conventional gear is a wash.  It trades off.  The gross weight issue that
an airframe will weigh in the upper 700's to low 800's is only for the
original Europa.   The XS is a heavy unit in comparison.  That is not
noted anywhere.  My aircraft grossed out at 910#   The airframes coming
out of Flight Crafters run from high 800's to low 900's.  So the increase
in gross weight by 70# over the original Europa will just cover the
increase in the final kit weight.  When I did my weight and balance I
found that it was right where it was suppose to be. (books are at the
airplane) When running calculations of weight in the baggage compartment,
adding of a 100# only moves the cg a small amount which still remains
well within limits  (details if you want).  So the Europa stated gross
weight is very conservative if its ability.  However, it does effect the
maneuvering speed (it is a bit lower). If you check throes aircraft which
can do aerobatics, you must keep the gross weight lower so you will not
exceed the "g" limits on the airframe.  I wish I could have weighed my
plane before  and after I painted it.  Paint is very heavy and your local
painter will "put it on to look nice".   I know my paint is on heavier
than it should be.  BTW, my airframe does not have upholstery other than
a speckle paint.  That is lighter than full coverage with fabric.  My
panel is a "6" pack with out the DG.  I have a small hand held GPS and
one radio, transponder and EIS engine monitor.  I have 9# on my external
40A alternator, and 1# on my electric rudder trim.
        Bob's conventional gear set up matches the Mono-wheel in vertical
positioning and in horizontal positioning.  So prop clearances are the
same.  It does look sexy compared to the others.   I have my cockpit
module modified to do the conversion if I want to.  That added about 10#
also to my gross weight.  So I guess I added about 25# to the original
design.  That still puts me in the 875# gross weight range.
        SO that is my comments on the conventional gear.  Now that I have
seen his finished, I think I would have done mine that way.  Keeps you
---From having to get the "retract time" problem with the insurance co.($$$)

Jim Nelson
N15JN
(still like my Mono-wheel)