Re: Europa-List: FW: Tail plane action

Subject: Re: Europa-List: FW: Tail plane action
From: Gerry Holland <gnholland@onetel.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 07:48:36

Kingsley Hi!

> Further to Ferg's suggestion of extending the arm, I would respectfully
> suggest you reinstal the main pitch push rod and check the amount of
> clearance you have between it and the closest part of the Mass Balance
> Weight (at full forward position).
>
> If you have been able to achieve 13 degrees up elevator and 5 down, I
> suspect you will have little room left to be able to extend the arm.  This
> is certainly the case with mine anyway.

Many Thanks for your observations. I have the action a little better
balanced now and did in fact remove the 3 Small Weight 'Discs' in Kit and
replace them with Lead versions. It increased the overall weight by about
300 grams so total weight on Balance Arm is 3250 grams.

The Aircraft gets the full Inspection soon prior to Flight with a
independent Inspector instead of my usual Inspector who 'referees' the
efforts at the moment. The Final Inspector has signed off a lot of Europa's
so I will seek his guidance and any changes he recommends.

The Lead Weights came out well. Made a Splash mould of small steel Weight
Discs in 'glass' and then poured Lead into these moulds. Not a very
repeatable exercise as Moulds just about do the process twice. The fumes
---From Hot Lead and Composite mould were something else!!

Climbing in the back of the Fuselage to adjust, add weight, etc. is not my
idea of a good day!

Regards

Gerry

Gerry Holland