Europa-List: Door latch

Subject: Europa-List: Door latch
From: Graham Singleton <graham@gflight.f9.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 23:53:15

>Would it not be much easyer to just forget about this egg thing - and other
>elaborate locking system - and just glue on strips of carbon fibre to the
>underside of the lower door sill to stiffen this erea? Have seen it on the
>net, but can't recall who did it. I for one intend to try this.

Put a blob of modelling clay on the door sill, where you plan to put the
third shoot bolt, then close the door and reveal the space between door and
sill.
Now sketch a suitable latch, which can be a wedge of nylon riveted to the
sill and a similar latching wedge riveted to the door so that they can
latch (relying on the flex in the door). You don't need to drill the door
frame or the door (except for the rivets) so there will be no strength
compromisation.
I saw this neat idea on Mal McLure's very nice Europa just north of Sydney.
I can confirm that the compressive strength of the fuselage is worth having
in a crash situation. It saved me from a severely broken back.
Graham

---