RE: Europa-List: Icom IC A200 /belly antenna

Subject: RE: Europa-List: Icom IC A200 /belly antenna
From: R.C.Harrison <ptag.dev@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:33:39

Hi! Duncan./Brian Davies/Gerry and all.
The belly mounted antenna I now have is CI-122 from Adams Aviation at
140.13 incl VAT. recommended by "Ash" the guy who used to do the panels for
RD Aviation. As you perhaps noticed
it sweeps backwards in a manner which clears my trailer floor when I winch
the a/c backwards.
However I'm not convinced that the improvement over the standard copper tape
in the fin close out is particularly worth the expense and effort, but as
yet another attempt to improve my ICOM IC A200 RECEPTION it just adds to the
list of things to try because "you name it I've tried it" with many
professional people having been involved with VSWR meters you name it, but
of course I have the Jabiru 3300 engine installation which may be the cause
of the reception problem.
OK some lucky folks sing praises of the ICOM but I must speak as to my
misfortunes, and I would expect that the CAA have taken their action on
informed experiences, and "good gear" doesn't get sold off at bum prices for
no reason ?
Ivor Phillips is suggesting the following alternative to be investigated by
anyone on the point of making a purchase............. before you commit your
self to the Microair look at this radio  from Australia
http://www.mcp.com.au/xcom760/online-sales/main-page.html
read the spec about monitoring two channels at once.
There are some things that I dearly wish I had the opportunity and cash to
revisit.
Yes, hope to see you at Kemble, Gerry!
Regards
Bob Harrison G-PTAG Europa MKI/Jabiru 3300

<ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>

Bob,
Any more details of the belly-mounted antenna? The fin mounted version is
poor with any radio if the receiving station is infront (like an airfield
that is being flown towards!).

Duncan McF