Re: Europa-List: Rolo-Flairing Tool (I think I have a dud)

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Rolo-Flairing Tool (I think I have a dud)
From: John Cliff <mx@crixbinfield.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 11:14:45

> Gidday,
> Sorry to keep going on about this but I have a problem, I think. The flairing
> tool I have appears to be high quality, but there are a couple of areas where
> am unsure. IT is a Parker Rolo-Flair 37 degree tool. It has a multiple pipe
> diameter clamping system which is an extension from the handle, and ontop of
> this is a bridge system that elevates a centrally located spindle above the
> pipe, which comes in from the opposing side. Within this threaded spindle is
> the flairing die and it winds into the pipe that is clamped to a pre
determined
> depth by a depth gauge feature, which is very nicely engineered. So, my
problem
> is that the spindle is loose and so is the bridge support, but only by a
little
> bit. It results in the die winding down into the tube, but allows it to become
> "non concentric" within the scope of the sloppiness of the spindle. Suffice to
> say, as you wind it into the pipe it migrates in an uncontrollable direction,
> or at least I can't control it. So I want to know if this sloppiness is
normal?
> It is made by Parker in the US and I seem to recall it is called a Roto
> Flairing tool. Red Handle, bronzy coloured metal. Has anyone else had the same
> problems, and if so, how do I stop it happening???
> Reg
> Tony Renshaw

I have exactly the same tool.  The spindle is also floppy when not under load,
some kind of self-aligning bearing I guess.  If you put an axial load on the
roller, as when it meets the tubing, the floppiness largely disappears.  The
swinging bridge piece is not floppy in a transverse direction, only slight
movement..

The two die wheels should lock hard together when the wing nut clamping the
bridge piece is tightened, gripping the tubing tightly.  The roller will then
find its own centre as it is wound into the tube end (if the tube end is square,
of course).  Makes perfectly good flares for me.  Keep at it !

One or two practice shots are desirable, to find out how long to go on winding
to make a flare which is big enough but not over-thiined.

John Cliff