Re: Europa-List: Yaesu Handheld Posting

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Yaesu Handheld Posting
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:51:35

> Hi All
>
> I picked up this interesting posting regarding the Vertex (Yaseu) Aviator Pro.
> I was thinking of buying one until I read this.
>
> Paul

(snip quoted blast re nav capability)

My Yaesu is one rugged, compact, honey of a unit.  Love it.  Any
handheld for VOR nav use apparently just doesn't work well.  Also,
interestingly, they claim 5W of xmit power, but I couldn't get quite
that on the test bench.  Maybe the test equipment, but an old Narco
HT-830 I have puts out relatively more, but the size and nuisance of a
building brick, cheaply constructed as are Sporty's, and I'm frequently
fixing the dumb thing.

Five watts is totally superfluous, and it's how it works overall.  A
friend of mine runs a fleet of banner tow airplanes.  They use handhelds
a lot for various necessary purposes, different brands, and praise the
Yaesu. One of the banner pilots, a "ham" and retired police officer and
thus experienced in portable communications in the heat of hostilities,
has the ham frequency version of the Yaesu, and is rarely seen w/o it
clipped to his belt.

Best,
Fred F.