Europa-List: Variometer instead of ROC

Subject: Europa-List: Variometer instead of ROC
From: Ronald J. Parigoris <rparigor@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:31:26

> Besides being more expensive, is there any reason that a Variometer can not
> take
the
> place of a ROC?

Even though have a Monowheel with short wings, i am sure it will still make a
nice
glider.
Granted sink rate higher than is desirable for  light thermal, however in a good
long
island convergence soaring is easy, or just gliding should be plenty fun.

Also neat would be to measure sink rate vs speed, precise with windmilling prop
in fine
and course, and stopped prop in fine and course and feather, and also with
flaps.
Nice
stuff to know, especial in event of quiet when you don't want quiet.

Later on if aquire glider wings, instrument in place.

Also a bit easier to find and stay in lift if present.

Had a Cessna 170 ragwing for 19 years. Not the greatest glider, had very small
flaps and
was very hard to get prop stopped, but it was great fun. Got over a three hour
flight  on
a good Long Island Convergence lift day.

Europa should be far superior with short wings to Cessna.

I never had to use the magic numbers i aquired gliding round with cessna. If I
lost power,
and was over a few thousand feet, would not hesitate to stop prop, which would
require an
abrupt noseup just before stall to get prop to stop. The benefit of a stopped
prop
was
evident in a lower sink rate for a given airspeed, hence a better L/D.

I always slowly reduced power on a step down basis to let motor get cool as
possable
prevent as much thermal shock as i could. Never saw any indication I hurt motor.

I imagine the 914 with same care would be pretty happy.

Ron Parigoris