Re: Europa-List: Post-curing time?

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Post-curing time?
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:39:35

> Cheers,
>             I have read the thread regarding the utility of post-curing. A
> composite guru in our chapter took a sample of my Aeropoxy lot and sent it
> to Stuttgart where they test these things, without post-curing (ie, room
> temp). It came back with a Tg of 78.3deg C.
> Ferg
> A064

Not sure which way to take that, but an optimist might say success
within 10% of spec by us amateurs, and well sufficient for the purpose,
is a good thing?

How much time elapsed between lay-up and test, and at what storage temp?
Supposed to make a difference. Otherwise a pessimist would wonder if
them spec sheets are premised upon fresh product, minimum humidity, and
mix accuracy by weight not to exceed the guano of a flea.

Since Aeropoxy apparently performs better at only room temp than others,
even at your tested 78C, their silence on postcure is curious.  The
stuff is marketed for airplane homebuilding, and a second-year law
student would be able to lecture these people about relevant disclosure.
  Maybe it's because postcure temp of more than marginal benefit for
this product is a bit hot, introducing the risk of botching the job in
ways not conducive to inspection.

Best,
Fred F.