Re: Europa-List: resin for filling

Subject: Re: Europa-List: resin for filling
From: Paul McAllister <paul.mcallister@qia.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:19:34

Hi Paul,

I have pretty well just finished up the last of the sanding and filling on
my Europa.  I took the best part of a year because I inter dispersed it with
more interesting tasks.

I started using Expandcell and West Systems epoxy resin. I added silica
carbide to the Expandcell in a one to four ratio.  I mixed up the expandcell
until is was very dry and applied it to a surface that I had put a very dry
smear of epoxy onto.  On balance this worked okay, but the dry mix was hard
to spread and had a lot of pin holes.  I put it on fairly thick as to get it
on one coat, and being pretty dry it sanded easily.  If you want to go the
West Systems route plan on using 2 gallons of resin. (I used one before
changing over)

I started having a bit of respiratory distress with the West Systems epoxy,
even days after it had dried I would find myself coughing in the work shop
so I changed to Polyfiber's Superfil.  Now this stuff is expensive, but
really nice to use.  I found that if I mixed it with a bit of gentle heat I
got no pin holes, and if I applied heat when I spread it, I could get a
really nice smooth layer.  I also found that I could add a bit and find that
the batch to batch consistency was the same.  One balance it was much nicer
to use, but at a considerable cost.  I think I used two, three gallon kits
of the stuff.

Just my 2 cents worth. - Paul