Re: Europa-List: Wing supports

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Wing supports
From: Ami McFadyean <ami@mcfadyean.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 22:29:48

I think that this thread is missing the point of the original question.
The bending strength of the spar is proportional to the width of the section
times the third power of the depth of section.
So 6" x 1" edgeways if 36 times stronger than 1" x 6" ( wing in vertical
dive position).

Half of the aircraft weight at a loading of 5g is crudely equivalent to 3430
lbs loading on the wing (excluding self-weight of wing, contribution to lift
---From the fuselage and tailplane downforce; before you shoot me down on
this!).

3430 divided by 36 is 95 lbs, about the weight of one complete wing.

So supporting the wings on trestles in the dive position will load the spar
to beyond its designed working limit (but not beyond its ultimate limit).
Bolting the two wings together makes no difference, as the maximum bending
would be at the root rib position on the spar, which is outboard of the
section where the two spars overlap.

I don't think that I would be inclined to support the wing as you suggest,
especially as (whilst in the paint shop) someone is bound to walk in and
lean on the tip-end of the wing (or some other miscellaneous additional

Duncan McF.