Re: Europa-List: Aileron Pushrod Tube Dimensions

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Aileron Pushrod Tube Dimensions
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:35:04

> Gidday,
> Well it was a day of 3 steps forward and 2 back. I bonded in the port
> aileron torque tube in the cockpit module, successfully, and then with my
> daughters assistance I measured and cut the port wing's aileron pushrod.
> Failure!!!! I cut the bloody thing at the base of the rod end insert, not
> its head. Oh, I kicked myself around the workshop with my daugter somewhat
> surprised to see me castigate myself as much as I do her from time to time.
> Well now the problem is that I have to source another 12' length of this
> stuff....

> Tony Renshaw
> Sydney Australia.

If you don't have PFA-style approvals to deal with, I'd consider
splicing the tubes together with a length of 1-1/8" x .058 tubing and
rivets and cutting again to length.  This is an approved method here
(FAA's Aircraft Inspection and Repair, Chapter 2) for aluminum tubing,
including structural members, not just control pushrods here under much
less stress.  You can add structural epoxy adhesive to the splice if you
like, as that alone w/o the rivets is the actual construction method in
the Grumman line of singles for the looong aileron torque tubes!

Regards,
Fred F.