Re: Europa-List: G-OWWW first flight.

Subject: Re: Europa-List: G-OWWW first flight.
From: John & Paddy Wigney <johnwigney@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:58:06

R.C.Harrison wrote:

>On the Manifold Pressure question, without one you will never know whether
>you are running the engine constantly overloaded or not, with the CS
>prop.your throttle becomes a power lever since the RPM control is done by
>the prop.

For Rotax 912 owners, the question of overloading is addressed in the
Operators Manual, ref. section 10.1.1.2 :-

 " The engine allows operation with fully open throttle valve over the
whole r.p.m. range, without limitation. But full throttle operation
performance above 5500 r.p.m. is limited to 5 minutes."

 From this, it is could be argued that it is not necessary to have a
manifold pressure gauge with a 912 and a variable pitch or constant
speed prop, since it cannot be overloaded below 5500 rpm. Having said
that, the manifold pressure gauge is pretty well indispensable to obtain
desired and repeatable engine power settings. I would not be without
one, I  refer to it all the time.

Cheers, John

N262WF, mono XS, 912S, WhirlWind c/s prop
Mooresville, North Carolina