Re: Europa-List: Trailers

Subject: Re: Europa-List: Trailers
From: Roger Anderson <Randerson@skewstacks.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 21:26:26

> Dean, I am talking Mono-wheel and am thinking of copying the Europa
design.
> Those who have used one for a while may have some suggestions for design
> improvements.

If you alter the spar socket such that it can rotate and pivot it makes
single handed rigging a doddle with the aid of a trolley to support the
outboard end of the wing. I modified an old golf trolley for the job and I
rig single handed for every trip. It takes less than half an hour from
arriving at the airfield to being ready for flight - no sweat. Similar time
to de-rig.
A boat trailer winch helps with getting the aircraft back on the trailer
single-handed.
The down load on the trailer hitch is way beyond that recommended for
trailing and I think the axle should be further forward.
In order to hitch the loaded trailer on to my car I have mounted a pulley on
the side of the frame by the hitch. I can get a two to one purchase to lift
the front end of the trailer, using a rope looped under the pulley with a
toggle on one end and the other end attached to a pole about one metre long.
The wheel ramp doesn't always release easily, and rather than reduce the
thickness of the tufnoll on the inside of the ramp I have fitted a bracket
on the side of the ramp which I can thump with a soft mallet to make the
ramp drop.
I secure the fuselage to the trailer with straps which locate with pins in
the rear wing mount points. The wings are secured with straps through the
outrigger mechanism and the outriggers are tied together over the top of the
fuselage.
The supplied rubber wing support slings mark the paintwork and crack with
age. I have replaced these with polypropylene straps of a similar width,
covered leatherette cuffs (soft side out). These are better than the rubber
straps but I would welcome suggestions for a better solution.
    Roger. G-BXTD.