Re: Access Door in fuselage

Subject: Re: Access Door in fuselage
From: Rob Huntington <robertodue2002@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 04:25:26

Hi Steve;

Having had the "wonderful" opportunity to make many access doors, all
with flush latches (you can buy from AC Spruce, P/N H-5000-2, $22.20) I
would be happy to show you how we do it. I'll be working this Saturday,
so stop by and we can discuss and I'll show you how we do it at least. I look
forward
to seeing you.

Rob Huntington
Phoenix Composites

 Steve Hagar <hagargs@earthlink.net> wrote:Has anyone made a hinged door with
one
of those spring loaded flush
fitting aircraft door catches for the bottom of the fuselage for
gascolator and sump drains?  I would like to hear of any pratfall before
I start sawing extra holes in the fuselage.  My plan is to make a nice
thick aluminum (ium!) pattern so I get a good hole cut out as well as to
serve as a pattern for the actual door.  I suppose the door should be
made thicker to hold its shape since it won't be cinched down with
mutliple screws.  Also my thoughts weren't to make the door big enough to
get my hand totally around the gascolator bowl since it won't be removed
at every check.  I would gain access through the baggage bay panel. The
outside door would allow the bowl to just drop out .  Any thoughts?
ThanksSteveA143Mesa,
AZ  --- Steve Hagar--- hagargs@earthlink.net
The Europa Forum is supported by Aviators Network UK
In the event of problems contact
The Europa Club website is at