setting up members-only password (was Re: Web

Subject: setting up members-only password (was Re: Web
From: Europa Club Membership Secretary <europaclub@rowil.clara.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:06:36
 Site changes)

>Please include me in the memberonly area

Kevin - thanks for your query. Here are the instructions for setting
up your password and making it available to me so I can activate it.
I believe Jeremy has put similar instructions on the website already
(haven't had time to look) as several people have managed to complete
the proces already. although others have e-mailed me direct in
similar vein to your own message. I'm copying this reply to the Forum
as damage limitation - I guess I should have done this in the first
place ....

The Europa Club website has members-only areas , which are available
only to currently paid-up Europa Club members. To access these you
will need a User ID and a password. You can choose both of these
yourself - make the password in particular easy to remember but hard
to guess! You can include both letters and numbers, but no other
characters. The User ID can be up to 10 characters; the password
should be at least 6 characters long and should contain both letters
and numbers. For example, Fred Bloggs might choose the User ID
"europafred" and the password "a1b2c3d4".

To set up your password for use, you will need to go to
<http://www.aviators.net/support/tools/passprot/>

There is a full explanation of how to set up a password-protected
area, but you don't need to read all that unless you are interested
in what's going on behind the scenes. Go to the bottom of the page
and enter your chosen User ID and Password in the text box there,
then press the submit button. A new page will appear with
confirmation of your User ID and Password, and also an encrypted
version. Fred Bloggs would see something like:

europafred with Pass [a1b2c3d4]
europafred:BkKIXiVX08/Y6

Select the whole line with the encrypted version (by clicking and
dragging across it) then copy (using the item "copy" from the menu
"edit"), and paste it (using the item "paste" from the menu "edit")
into an e-mail to me at my Membership Secretary address:

<memsec@europaclub.org.uk>

including your full real name for identification. Do NOT e-mail your
password in plain text at any time to anybody! So, for example,
Fred's e-mail would contain:

europafred:BkKIXiVX08/Y6
Fred Bloggs

Once you have done that and received confirmation that access has
been set up for you, you can forget about the encrypted version of
the password. Incidentally, the encryption is "one-way", so quite
safe to send by e-mail as you can't practically work out the password
---From the encrypted version.

To access the members-only parts of the Europa Club website, enter
your User ID and Password when prompted. Most web browsers can be set
to remember the User ID and Password so you can connect in future
without having to enter them again. Please do not reveal to anyone
else your User ID and Password, nor allow anyone else to access the
Europa Club website under your identity.

I normally add User IDs and Passwords to the list of authorised users
in weekly batches, so please be patient.

regards

Rowland