Re: Top Gloss- Grease question

Subject: Re: Top Gloss- Grease question
From: Christine Timm <cptimm@telus.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:06:05

I have just recently installed the Airmaster prop. and had a similar
problem.   On a hunch I stopped at a Helicopter maintenance facility at the
local airport.  They were willing to sell us a single tube for $15.00 Cdn.

The owner at the shop told me that they only use Aeroshell 22 because it is
required for certified aircraft that a certified grease be used.  He said
other equivalent greases are available and would be as good or better but
were not certified for use on aircraft.  I was as worried as you, are about
not getting the right grease but I'm now beginning to wonder if an
equivalent grease would not have been adequate.  What makes a grease
'equivalent' I can, unfortunately, not confirm.  It seems to have something
to do with min/max temps among other things.  Perhaps a local aircraft mech.
could advise you.

Good luck in your search - hope you can keep the 91 sterling in your pocket,
having just returned from England I know just how much that means!

Peter Timm - C-GIET
Builder no. 110