Re: Chromates in continental NW Europe?

Subject: Re: Chromates in continental NW Europe?
From: Miles Simon <Simon.Miles@skynet.be>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:48:18
Jan,

I'm building my Europa in Brussels and had the same problem as you in
sourcing Zinc Chromate paint. I spoke with Light Aero in the UK but,
although the paint was only GBP 6.50 a can, the postage was GBP 20.00 *plus*
GBP 35.00 because it is classed as hazardous goods!!

Because I have a very small brain it was only sometime later that I thought
to ask the maintenance organisation that looks after the aeroplane I am
currently flying (a C172) until my Europa is completed. They are at Antwerp
airport and are very happy to supply Zinc Chromate and probably the other
items you're looking for. In addition, the guy I spoke to (who is retired
now but used to own the business - he still works there a couple of
afternoons a week though) is an inspector for homebuilts in Belgium and has
loads of good advice. Even better, they are quite happy to allow you to use
their tools (such as rivet guns for assembling the aileron controls - that's
the stage I'm at at the moment) as long as you bring the parts to them;
understandably they won't let the tools 'off-site'.

Contact me off-list if you need more info.

Simon Miles
Builder #508