Re: Navaid (Interference from Radio)

Subject: Re: Navaid (Interference from Radio)
From: Nigel Charles <72016.3721@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 17:41:52
Message text written by Graham Singleton
>>When I press it it freezes the device in the last position as it should.
>I have got into the habit of switching it off to transmit.
>
>Barry Tennant

Maybe a diode in the disable line might fix that? Just a guess.
Graham
<

I have only just started reading this thread however I thought this aspect
was covered in the assembly manual using pin 7 on the back of the turn
coordinator in conjunction with the PTT switch and a diode to the PTT
connection on the VHF radio. Although I have wired mine that way I have not
had a chance to check it out due to a gyro failure after only 10 hours
flying. I have tried contacting Navaid to arrange repair on several
occasions and got nowhere so today I finally repaired it myself. The pivot
pin had moved allowing the gyro to fall off its pivot tearing the power
wires to the gyro. Fortunately I managed to fix this after 2 hours work. I
will report back when I get a chance to try it out in the air (the UK
weather is well into winter mode as I write this).

 Incidently I also had to send the servo unit back before installation due
to the gears dragging when the unit was unpowered. Before doing so I found
some poorly soldered joints inside the servo unit. All this indicates that
the quality control is not what it might be.

Nigel Charles