Re: 18 amps from a 914 !!!

Subject: Re: 18 amps from a 914 !!!
From: James Nelson <europajim@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:36:11
The crank is tapered at that end.  The flywheel with the magnets on it is
held on the crank with a blot that goes thru a large washer and into the
end of the crank.  There is a woodruff key in the taper to hold
everything in alignment for timing purposes.  I've modified that
attachment area to allow for a coupling to hook up there and then drive
thru the rubber sleeve to a similar unit which drives the alternator.  I
feel very confident that it will work out fine.  I make sure that
alignment was well within tolerances so the sleeve would only see
rotational loads, no miss alignment problems. My unit leaves about 1/4"
between the back of the alternator and the engine mounting frame.

                                              Jim