18 amps from a 914 !!!

Subject: 18 amps from a 914 !!!
From: Paul Boulet <possible2do@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 15:15:42

Hi All;

I'm sorry to say that I've buried my head in the sand regarding the relatively
small amp output from the Rotax 914 I'm considering.  It seems unbelievable to
me that a $15,000 turbo charged engine would have such low amperage output...I
mean geez.... the landing lights, strobe and nav/position lights alone eat up
15 amps.

Is it true that the only option is to add a second alternator (in lieu of vacuum
so goodbye vacuum instruments)?

I'm planning my panel and seems that space in the 3/4 length panel isn't the
only
limiting factor.  Comments would sure be appreciated.  Thanks

Paul Boulet, A212