Re: Diode across contactors

Subject: Re: Diode across contactors
From: Fred Fillinger <fillinger@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 15:56:41
For shopping similar diodes, the IN400X series are all 1 amp, 30A
surge rectifier diodes.  IN4005 is 600 volts, IN4006 800V, IN4007
1000V. Here's discussion of the potential problem:

http://www.leachintl2.com/english/english2/vol6/properties/how7.htm

They say probably a 750V spike, but could be 3,000V, but on 28V system
in an airliner.  One-half thereof may be valid for 14V, but on the
scope it looks like a few hundred on a relay we would use.  If a diode
is there and it's working, I have trouble picturing there's any high
voltage across it, just some response time effect (the spikes are
really skinny).

But in any event, it doesn't follow that a millisecond shot to the
diode above the reverse volts rating kills it.  Besides some Zener
effect, the data sheet says add 20% for isolated voltage events, but I
could not get some 100V 1N4002's to avalanche even at 200V.  So 1KV
diodes are cheap and common, e.g., Radio Shack P/N 276-1114, a PTC205
3-amp'er.  Or 1N5407.

Regards,
Fred F.