Re: Flying: The continent

Subject: Re: Flying: The continent
From: Cripps David <david.cripps@spsystems.com>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 10:05:07
I think your interpretation of the rules re Customs are pretty much spot on,
although
I think Ipswich must be the regional place for your customs as down here
on the Isle of Wight I deal with Customs in Plymouth (although I think this
may have moved to London now?).

In France you are right that you have to go through a designated Customs
airfield
both when going out and when returning. I have used Cherbourg before and just
turned up (having of course done the Flight Plan bit with LHR). I have never
yet seen a Customs person there but this may be because I tend to go at
weekends.
When leaving from/returning to the IOW (both from Sandown and from a private
farm strip) I have never yet seen a Customs person at this end.

I once flew on to Lannion in Brittany having called in via Cherbourg. When I
tried
to file a Flight Plan direct back to the UK from Lannion they wouldn't let
me, saying I had to route back via a Customs airfield (Cherbourg again in this
case). The next time I went to Lannion I notified ATC there 1 day in advance
that I wanted inbound and outbound customs and they said they'd sort it all out
so I could go direct there and back.

I thought it would just be a formality but, no the Customs people were there in
their smart uniforms waiting for my grand arrival. They checked everything
(aircraft
documents, passports) and searched the aircraft. They then asked when
I would be leaving. I gave them a rough time later in the afternoon, but they
wanted an accurate ETD. I gave them this and went off to the beach for the day.
On my return at roughly my ETD time I was surprised that the same Customs people
were there and interrogated me about what I had been doing and what I was
carrying back in the aircraft (just some wine). They were perfectly courteous
but very thorough, so I guess the moral of the tale is - be prepared and stick
to their rules!!

David