Avemco chickens out...

Subject: Avemco chickens out...
From: Shaun Simpkins <shauns@hevanet.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 17:17:23
All:

I've been gone for a week on vacation to find this in my in-box from AOPA
e-pilot,
V4 issue 3:

    Homebuilt aircraft owners were shocked last week when Avemco (which is a
direct
insurer,
    not an insurance agency) suddenly issued a moratorium on policies for higher
performance
    homebuilt and experimental aircraft. The company reportedly will no longer
write new policies
    for aircraft with retractable gear, more than 200 horsepower, more than
$200,000
in value, or
    capable of cruising faster than 180 knots.
    But the AOPA Insurance Agency (AOPAIA) has identified a number of companies
willing to
    write such insurance. "Sadly, we can't help everybody. There are some risks
the insurance
    companies are unwilling to cover," said AOPA President Phil Boyer.

One more chapter in the aircraft insurance collapse travesty. Clearly, the
Tri-gear
would not fall
into the excluded class...but would the Monowheel?  Avemco offers homebuilder's
insurance -
but will it back away from flight insurance for Europoids?  Monday will be
busy...

Shaun